Office works sometimes can be very tedious and time consuming. Sitting down for long hours is not something you should be happy about if you really care for your health. However, the good news is that you can still perform your office duties when walking around or standing and this can only be achieved when you are using an under desk treadmill.
An under desk treadmill is also known as a treadmill desk and it is the best machine that can allow you to remain active in the office. Using this workout equipment will allow you to remain physically fit and this will go a long way in boosting your healthy lifestyle. Apart from that, it is one of the best ways to burn your calories, boost circulation and lose weight.
Whether you have ever heard about these equipment or not, this article will reveal some interesting facts everyone should know about these machines.
Why Do You Need an Under Desk Treadmill?
Using an under desk treadmill will help you in the following ways:
- Regular walking boosts metabolism and also helps to burn calories. It is among the most effective methods of losing weight.
- Using a treadmill lowers any risks of hypertension and heart diseases and diabetes type 2 by 50%.
- It helps to boosts your blood circulation.
- Boosts posture and also helps to prevent joints and back pain.
- Walking improves your state of mind especially if you are stressed. It also boosts your level of confidence.
- Regular walking improves your balance and coordination. This allows you to have a better control of your body.
- Using a treadmill will also boost your productivity when working. It allows your mind to relax and this will increase your concentration.
How to Use an Under Desk Treadmill
Before buying a treadmill, you need to be conversant on how it works. Below are some tips that will help you to use it effectively.
- Speed – Set the right speed that you are comfortable with if you want to prevent uneasiness. No need to set a speed that will leave you out of breath. You can start with a pace of 1 mile per hour and increase later as you learn how it works.
- Safety clip – It is advisable to use a safety clip since it allows the treadmill to stop in case you lose balance. The walking desk station should be in the right place. It should just be below the elbow and you should also try to keep your arms at 90 degrees when working.
- Time – You do not need to spend a lot of time on the machine. 30 minutes a day are just enough, especially when starting. You can increase the sessions after some time. Spending less time on the treadmill will also allow you to work for long hours without getting fatigued.
Safety Measures When Using an Under Desk Treadmill
- Under-treadmill mats are a worthy investment because they protect your floor from any damages. They also boost stability and are very useful during the cold seasons. Some of these mats are also effective in sound isolation.
- Extension cord- If you decide to use an extension cord, ensure the wire is 14 AWG or even better. It should have just one outlet in the end.
- Use manual – If you have never used this machine before, it is advisable to go through the user manual and ensure that you have understood how it works. You also need to be sure of how to use the different controls.
- Install the machine where you can easily connect it to a 110-volt or a 10-amp ground circuit. You should never use a ground fault circuit interrupt (GFCI) wall outlet when using a treadmill. Appliances that use GFCI are likely to trip often especially if they are using a large motor.
If you among those people who spend many hours in your office, you need to know that this can lead to very serious health conditions especially if you rarely exercise. You are likely to gain weight and experience different forms of body pain such as back pain, joint pains, and headaches.
Therefore, investing in a quality under desk treadmill is one of the best investments you can ever make. This machine allows you to exercise your body as you work. This, in turn, boosts productivity and ensures that you are physically fit. All you need is to do thorough research before buying to ensure that you have chosen the best.